The best preserved of the ruined Churches of Wexford is St. Patrick’s, adjacent to St. Patrick’s Square. In structure, the buildings are a miniature of Selskar, but it has a feature all its own – a double belfry on either gable end.
In one of these, which stood above the High Altar, were the Sanctus Bell, which was rung from the Sanctuary at the more solemn parts of the Mass, the others over the main entrance were bells of different tone and used to summon people to Church.
In the surrounding graveyard are buried many of the victims of 1649 and ’98, though.
In the latter date both friend and foe shared the common ground of the dead, many of the infamous North Cork Militia being buried close to the main gate of the Cemetery.